AFS4FOOD is one of the nine beneficiaries of the 2011 Open Call granted by the African Union (Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology).
The project is funded by the 10th European Development Fund (EDF) through EuropeAid for $ 749 k €.
Terms of reference of the 2011 Call
The Overall objectives of this Call for Proposals are to improve science and technology research to contribute to African sustainable development through:
- Innovatively and sustainably building Africa’s research capacities through direct funding of the AU Science and Technology Policy, particularly the implementation of the Consolidated Plan of Action (CPA) and its lighthouse projects;
- Enhancing intra-regional scientific research collaboration and cooperation that contributes to Africa’s sustainable development.
Three priority areas are targeted:
- Post harvest and Agriculture: 4 projects approved (500 to 750 k € grant);
- Sustainable and renewable energy (4 projects approved);
- Water and sanitation (1 project approved).